The Dental Admission Test (DAT) is the first step on the path to becoming a professional dentist. It’s a given that you need to take this exam seriously— so your best bet is to complete a prep course before attempting the actual DAT exam.
TopscoreDAT’s 12-week online program for the DAT is a great way to prepare for your exams. Most of their content is taught by a live instructor, ensuring that you understand the underlying concepts instead of simply memorizing them.
Keep reading our in-depth review of their course to learn more!
Overview of TopscoreDAT
TopscoreDAT’s founder and instructor Lola has helped people pass the Dental Admission Test since 1998. Over the years, she’s refined the course content and implemented modern technology to meet the needs of multiple generations of students.
With a wealth of knowledge to draw from and a genuine passion for teaching, her DAT exam prep program is as effective as it is unique.
Here are a few of the features you can expect from TopscoreDAT:
- 20 Hours of Private Tutoring
- Personalized Scheduled Program
- PAT Generator
- 130+ Hours of Practice
- 5,000+ Representative Exams
- 3,500+ Practice Questions
- Compressed Review Notes
- Test Simulation Software
- Organic Chemistry Reactions Generator
- Live Assistance
What’s Included With TopscoreDAT
Although TopscoreDAT has a general schedule for the whole class, each student also gets a personalized study schedule based on how they’re progressing. This caters to their individual academic needs in a way other courses simply can’t match. Once you sign up, feel free to schedule sessions on the weekends or weekdays; both options will provide an identical experience, so it all depends on your personal schedule.
But don’t expect this course to be all fun and games!
Lola creates a personalized schedule for each of her students that’s designed to maximize their learning potential. That can make these lessons more intense than you’re used to. But if you trust the process and are able to keep up with each lesson, your scores will skyrocket.
Ultimately, TopscoreDAT’s lesson plans are difficult— but they never reach the level of a boot camp.
Multiple Content Types
Lessons are taught through multiple formats, which keeps your learning process from becoming boring or routine. It’s also a great way for your instructor to see what teaching methods work best for you during your personal lessons.
Each of TopscoreDAT’s study materials focuses more on understanding mechanics and fundamentals instead of memorizing content. After all, truly understanding the information is far more valuable than rote memorization.
Each course consists of a series of videos, study guides, lectures, and practice tests. Videos are typically under 5 minutes long so they can keep your attention without dragging on. Exams are spaced out based on how many lectures and videos you’ve watched— this way, you don’t get overwhelmed during the course.
In total, there are 10 practice tests with 50 to 90 questions each. Plus, each course comes with an organic chemistry reactions generator, so you can test your skills when defining important variables.
It’s not a great learning experience if you feel isolated from everyone else in your course. That’s why TopscoreDAT includes tools to interact with or even help your fellow students. Every student has access to a private forum with boards separated based on test subjects; that way, discussions don’t become unfocused.
By contributing to discussions on this forum, you’ll be able to reinforce everything you’ve learned by checking in with your fellow students. Thanks to that, this course feels more like a community than an actual DAT prep class.
It costs $950 for TopscoreDAT’s 12-week program, which is a terrific deal for what’s essentially a personal tutor program. But if that’s too much for you to pay at once, you can finance it through PayPal Credit.
If you need some extra time to prepare for the Dental Admission Test, you can purchase an extension for $300. All in all, this is an unbeatable price for the insight you get into the actual DAT exam and dental school in general.
Pros & Cons
Still on the fence about TopscoreDAT? Take a look at their strengths and weaknesses and see if it’s right for you.
- Pro – Free Trial: Interested in this course? Try it out for free— just make an account and you’ll get access to one full lecture and sample tests on quantitative reasoning. Completing that will give a good feel for how the course works and what’s expected of you when studying.
- Pro – Virtual and Physical Classes: TopscoreDAT had to temporarily switch to virtual courses in 2020 (just like the rest of the world). But aside from extenuating circumstances, physical classes are held regularly in different parts of the US.
- Pro – Weekly Q&A: Q&A sessions are available every week on Fridays. These are a good chance to get extra clarification on subjects learned that week. However, bear in mind that you must confirm 24 hours before attending each session.
- Con – Not Self-Paced: TopscoreDAT’s course is an entirely live experience. Unfortunately, that limits your flexibility compared to some other prep courses currently available. The amount that you get out of this course is dependent on your ability to work with your tutor and complete her assignments at an accelerated pace.
Frequently Asked Questions
TopscoreDAT has a lot to offer, but it’s important to make sure you know what you’re getting into. Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about this course.
Q: What sets TopscoreDAT apart from other virtual dental school courses?
A: This DAT course is a much more guided experience than its competitors. Most online courses focus on independent study instead of the 1-on-1 tutoring that TopscoreDAT specializes in.
Q: How will I know if I’m ready to pass the DAT?
A: Every course ends with an assessment to see what your next step is. If you’re prepared then you should take the test. Otherwise, TopscoreDAT will advise you on your next step. These assessments are made based on the adaptive progress tracking built into each course.
Q: How does TopscoreDAT’s live tutoring work?
A: You have a pool of 1-on-1 tutoring time available to you throughout the course (usually 20 hours). Simply schedule a session 72 hours ahead of time and it’ll be added to your schedule. Each tutoring session is attached to whatever topic or chapter you request help with.
Before you make your final purchasing decisions, consider if the following applies to you.
- If you like lessons tailored to your strengths and weaknesses, this is the course for you.
- If you enjoy working with others to solve problems, this is the course for you.
- If you like having a helping hand while learning, this is the course for you.
- If you prefer laid-back and slow studying, this isn’t the course for you.
For students who want to become DAT test experts, TopscoreDAT is absolutely worth your time. Their personalized study plans are unmatched by anyone else in the business. Plus, you can tell that Lola really cares about her students’ success; She has a personal investment in you passing the DAT that really comes across in their lectures.
If you want to pass the DAT on your first try, give this course a shot. Register for an account and you’ll get a free trial— I guarantee you’ll be hooked by the end of it!